MLA is delighted to once more offer an ever popular lecture programme from world-renowned lipid scientists; Dr Bill Christie MBE, Dr Charlie Scrimgeour, Professor Terry Smith and Mr Peter Clough, at the James Hutton Institute, Dundee on Thursday 23rd and Friday 24th February 2017.
Designed especially for those working within lipid (fat and oil) analysis in the food, oleochemical, cosmetic and pharmaceutical industries, or in academia, the course will provide an introduction to the analysis, chemistry, physics and biochemistry of lipid molecules.
Topics covered will include
- Structure, nomenclature and occurrence of fatty acids and lipids
- Processing: Extraction, refining, hydrogenation, fractionation, interesterification
- Analysis 1. Separation and analysis of lipid classes
- Analysis 2. Analysis of fatty acids
- Analysis 3. Analysis of molecular species and positional distribution
- Physical properties: Crystal structure and melting behaviour, spectroscopy (UV, IR, NMR, MS)
- Reactions associated with double bonds and the carboxyl group; Oxidation, novel chemistry, oleochemicals and surfactants
- Lipidomics - introduction and analytical methods
- Omega-3 fatty acids and nutrition
- Biological function of lipids
- Global market - oils and fats
The course cost of £900 plus VAT will include transport from the hotel, lunch on the course days, dinner on 23 February and course materials. A reduced cost of £500 plus VAT is available for full time registered students.
Accommodation is not included in the price. Rooms have been reserved at the Apex City Quay Hotel (www.apexhotels.co.uk) at a single occupancy rate of £85 per night, bed and breakfast (£95 double occupancy). Please indicate on the registration form whether you would like JHL to confirm this accommodation on your behalf. Transport from the Apex City Quay Hotel to and from the course venue will be provided.
Dundee is located on the East coast of Scotland, approximately half-way between Edinburgh and Aberdeen and close to the picturesque town of Perth and historical Stirling. For golf enthusiasts, St Andrews and Carnoustie championship courses are a short drive away. Excellent salmon fishing is also available in the area. There are numerous places of interest near to Dundee, including Glamis Castle, Scone Palace, Captain Scott’s ship ‘RRS Discovery’ as well as vast areas of unspoilt countryside and coastline. There is a number of whisky distilleries a short distance away and local delicacies such as Dundee cake, Arbroath Smokie and of course the world famous haggis, are sure to be on the menu.
How to get here
Dundee is easily accessible by road, rail or air. There are direct flights between Dundee, London Stansted and Amsterdam Schiphol (www.flybe.co.uk) Dundee is also on the main East Coast rail route, providing direct services from Newcastle, York, London, Aberdeen, Edinburgh and Glasgow.
Course Programme CLICK HERE
Registration Form CLICK HERE
For further information please contact;